Menu

Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 8:30 pm
Saturday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Sunday 9:00 am - 1 pm

Are you ready for a fun-filled Easter weekend? There are a few things to be aware of that can be potentially hazardous for the four-legged members of your family; take a look at our advice below and keep your pets protected this Easter.

 

Chocolate

Chocolate poisoning is particularly common around holidays such as Christmas and Easter. Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be poisonous to dogs, as well as most other animals, including cats, rodents and rabbits – so keep those Easter Eggs out of reach!

How much is too much chocolate?

This really depends on the amount, type and quality of the chocolate eaten, and the size of the pet. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains, and therefore the more poisonous it is.

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning?

Signs often include vomiting and diarrhoea, and as chocolate is a stimulant, you may also see excitement, muscle twitching, tremors, fitting and an increased heart rate and blood pressure.

british-shorthair-2014007_1280.jpg

Hot cross buns

Hot cross buns may be a tasty Easter treat, but grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are all toxic to dogs.

How much is too much?

It’s hard to say, as we don’t really know why these fruits are toxic to dogs, or how much can be poisonous.  Some dogs seem to be able to eat considerable quantities with no effects, while others have become unwell after very small amounts. It’s better to be safe than sorry and keep them out of paw’s reach!

What symptoms might be seen?

Between 6-24 hours after eating one of these fruits, you’ll notice excessive drooling (hypersalivation), vomiting, and possibly some diarrhoea. Other symptoms include abdominal pain, loss of appetite, increased thirst and increased urination. Kidney failure is also possible in some dogs.

Spring bulbs

Some plants commonly seen at this time of year can be potentially toxic to our pets.

daffodil-733877_1280.jpg

Daffodils

Symptoms of poisoning can include nausea and vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and abnormal breathing. The bulbs can cause serious problems, but pets can also become unwell if the flowers are eaten, or if water from a vase containing daffodils is drunk.

Tulips

The toxins found in this plant cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract and can result in drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. Serious cases are rare, but effects could include heart problems and breathing difficulties.

Spring crocus

These flower in Spring and are believed to be of low toxicity. They may cause a mild stomach upset if eaten.

Lilies

Lilies can be highly toxic to cats. This includes Easter lily, tiger lily, rubrum lily, stargazer lily, Japanese Show lily, some species of day lily, and certain other members of the Liliaceae family.

All parts of the lily plant are considered toxic to cats and consuming even small amounts can cause severe poisoning. Many cats are often affected simply because they brush against the flower and get pollen on their coats. Later they groom the pollen off, and of course ingest the lily pollen. Even water from the vase can cause poisoning.

The primary toxic effects are on the kidneys. Within minutes to hours of ingesting part of the lily, your cat may vomit, become lethargic, or develop a lack of appetite. Without prompt and proper treatment by a vet, the cat may develop kidney failure in approximately 36-72 hours.

If you have cats at home, please take our advice – don’t let any form of lily plant into your home.

What should you do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned?

If you’re at all worried that your pet may have eaten, or come into contact with, something toxic, please call us immediately.

Where possible, if you can provide us with any of the following information, it can be really helpful:

  • What poison you think your pet’s been exposed to, including product names, or ingredients if relevant/you have them to hand
  • How much they may have been exposed to
  • When your pet was exposed to the poison 
  • If your pet has been unwell, and if so, what symptoms you have seen

For the best possible outcome, we must see your pet as a matter of urgency. If you are in any doubt, don’t wait for your pet to become unwell before calling us for advice.

From all the team at Cedar Grove, we wish you a happy, healthy Easter with your family – furry or feathered members included!



Leave a Reply

Comments

 

Post a comment

Please correct the following:
Your Name
Your Email
Your Location
Your Review

Newsletter Signup

Offers, events and animal advice

Follow Cedar Grove

Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus & YouTube