Cedar Grove Vets's home page
Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic 02890 798457
Ormeau Veterinary Clinic 028 9032 6406

Pet Advice

All our advice for a healthy and happy pet

Don't miss anything ! Subscribe to our newsletter.

Latest advice

Latest advice

Read our blog to know all of our latest news and best advice.

Cedar Grove's tutorials

Cedar Grove's tutorials

Wondering how to clean your pets ear? Brush their teeth? Give them a tablet? All our answers in video!

General advice

  • Flea Control
  • Worm Control
  • Microchipping
  • Pet passport

Flea Control

Successful flea control involves:

  • Eliminating fleas from your pet 
  • Controlling fleas in the environment  

Fleas are not host specific. Dogs and cats share the same fleas and because of this it is important that all the animals in the house are treated with appropriate medication. Treatment of the pet is relatively simple since it is only the adult flea that has to be eliminated.

When it comes to environmental control other stages of the life cycle have to be considered. This is why it is vital to eliminate fleas on your pet and also control fleas in the environment. 

Take Control! If your pet has fleas, its important to tackle the whole flea problem, not just the adult fleas you can see on your pet. 

You can kill adult fleas and prevent on-going infestation of the home by regularly treating your pet with two active ingredients – one to kill fleas, the other to prevent the development of eggs, larvae and pupae. 

We recommend a preparation that will contain both of these ingredients in a small pipette, which you then apply to your pets skin. 

Worm Control

Parasitic worms infect most cats and dogs at some time in their lives. They can damage your pet’s health and worse still, your family’s! Some worms can infect people, and their larval stages can cause a number of health problems – with children being most at risk. 

That’s why responsible pet owners should make regular worming part of their pet-care routine. 

How often should we treat for worms? 

It’s difficult to prevent worm infection, so it is recommended that you should treat your cat or dog regularly for worms. If you worm at least every 3 months, it will help keep your pet healthy, and, importantly, vastly reduce the number of worm eggs shed into the environment. 

Hunting cats are especially susceptible to tapeworm infections mostly due to the animals they catch, such as mice and birds. 

A few ways to reduce your pet’s chances of getting a worm infection: 

  • Safe disposal of dog or cat faeces 
  • Rigorous kennel hygiene 
  • Routine flea control, including the animals environment 
  • Worming of all newly acquired puppies and kittens 
  • Preventing scavenging of carcasses 
  • Correct feeding (ie. Avoid unsterilised pet food) 


Collars and tags are an ideal first line of identity, but these can very easily be lost.

Microchipping is a quick, simple and painless one off injection placing a tiny microchip in the scruff of the neck. If your pet should get lost the unique microchip number can be retrieved by a simple portable scanner and help reunite you and your pet. It is also an integral part of the pet passport scheme allowing your pet to travel abroad and return to the UK without the need for quarantine.

Microchipping can also assist where the ownership of an animal is in dispute and is also a legal requirement in Northern Ireland for all dog owners.

All our registrations for microchipping are completed online at the time of your appointment. This means your pet is registered on the Petlog Database before they leave the practice.

If you have any questions or concerns about having your pet microchipped, please do not hesitate to contact any member of the practice team.

Pet passport

The pet passport scheme is changing, whether its deal or no deal pre and post Brexit. If you are thinking about travelling with you pet in 2020/2021, please contact us for the latest information or click here for the official government websites with the latest information.

When travelling with your pet dog, cat or ferret, the rules you must follow depend on the country you are going to or coming from.

Getting a pet passport if you live in Northern Ireland:

From Monday 7th January 2019 you can obtain a pet passport directly from one of the veterinary practices participating in the scheme. Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic are one of the practices continuing to participate in the scheme. Please contact us on 02890 705777 if you require a passport for your pet.

The passport stays valid as long as you continue to meet the entry requirements.

If I am travelling from GB to NI with my pet, what are the requirements?

To travel from GB to NI your pet needs:

  • a microchip
  • a valid EU pet passport, or EU animal health certificate confirming microchip and vaccinations
  • a rabies vaccination
  • tapeworm treatment (dogs only) administered between 1 and 5 days before entering NI
  • entry to NI must be through a Travellers Point of Entry

Will my current EU pet passport, issued in NI, prior to 31 December 2020, still be valid for return travel into NI from GB, or do I apply for a new one?

No, current EU pet passports issued in both NI and GB up to 31 December 2020, will not be valid for travel to the EU (including NI) after the 31 December 2020. Interim measures have been put in place. If you are travelling in early 2021, you should contact your vet who will arrange to update your pet passport appropriately to allow travel. A new style UK (NI) branded EU Pet Passport will be available shortly and these will be distributed to veterinary practices in due course. 

Will my pet be subject to checks if I am returning to NI from GB?

Yes. EU regulations require checks in respect of pet movements for pets entering the EU (including NI) from third counties.

You can enter or return to the UK with your pet cat, dog or ferret if it:

  • has been microchipped
  • has a pet passport or third-country official veterinary certificate
  • has been vaccinated against rabies – it will also need a blood test if you’re travelling from an “unlisted country”
  • dogs must also usually have a tapeworm treatment.

Third country official veterinary certificate

Outside of the EU authorised vets issue official veterinary certificates instead of pet passports. This certificate allows your pet to enter the UK (or another country in the EU). You’ll need other supporting documents too. Check your certificate for full details.

You must arrive in an EU country within 10 days of the date the certificate was issued. You can then use it for up to 4 months for travel within the EU.

Other documents

Your transport company may need a statement from your vet confirming that your pet is fit to travel. Check with the country you’re travelling to for information about any extra documents you’ll need to enter with your pet.

For further details please see Bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to Great Britain on UK.gov.