What it is and what conditions can it treat?
Our typical patient has osteoarthritis (hip dysplasia, degenerative joint disease, calcifications, common degeneration and inflammation), soft tissue injuries (cruciate injuries, tears, ruptures, inflammation), or needs accelerated healing of fractures. We know a lot about these conditions, and over 95% of these patients get better, with MediVet’s Stem Cell Therapy.
We also treat other cases under “compassionate use”. We know less about these conditions, but are seeing some exciting results. Some of those conditions are: degenerative myelopathy, feline gingivitis, end-stage renal disease, liver and kidney failure, allergy, auto-immune, inflammatory bowel disease, pulmonary fibrosis, IMHA, atopy, and spine trauma.
Please talk to us if you have questions about any of these conditions or would like to submit your animal for a compassionate use trial.
Advanced stem cell therapy uses your pet’s own stem cells for treatment. This is called Autologous Therapy – when the stem cells come from your own body’s tissues. There are no ethical or moral concerns with the use of stem cells from one’s own body as these cells are adult and not embryonic. Advancement in technology we are merely utilizing the body’s own regenerative capabilities with our proprietary treatment.
Stem cells are powerful healing cells in your pet’s body that can become other types of cells. There are many adult stem cells in fat tissue, however they are asleep. Stem Cell therapy allows your vet to isolate stem cells from your animal’s own (autologous) fat tissue, wake them up, and reintroduce them directly into damaged areas.
For example, in the case of arthritis, stem cells can become new cartilage cells and have natural anti-inflammatory properties thus reducing pain and increasing mobility.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is it safe? Yes, this procedure is very safe. On a typical dog, this is easier than a spay, and the fat is collected in about 15 minutes by your vet. Processing the sample is done carefully by a highly trained MediVet Veterinary Surgeon (or by a lab tech carefully trained by that veterinary surgeon). In the thousands of animals treated, we have not observed any negative side-effects from MediVet’s stem cell therapy.
- What happens to my pet when they come in for stem cell therapy? First, your vet will put your pet under general anesthetic. Then, he/she will make a small incision and collect 2-4 tablespoons of fat (either in the belly or behind the shoulder blades). Then a trained technician will process the sample, right in the clinic, using MediVet equipment. The sample is activated then introduced to the patient. The patient can then go home, same day.
- What is the recovery period, and how long does it take to see results? We recommend that the patient be kept quiet for the first 10 days. Then, while they may feel a lot better, you will need to be careful so your pet doesn’t injure themselves until they build up some of their muscles. Swimming and walking in water is great therapy. We typically see improvement starting after 3 weeks, and then continuing up to around 2 months.
- How long does a treatment last? What happens if my pet starts having trouble again? We typically see about 1-4 years of relief after the initial treatment. Most pet owners chose to bank cells, so retreatment is easy. MediVet has a banking facility in Kentucky. If symptoms return, your vet merely requests a dose of cells from the bank, and re-introduces the cells. No surgery is necessary.
- Are there any animals that you don’t treat? It is MediVet’s policy to bring its customers the latest data and provide recommendations for the safety of all patients. Currently, MediVet recommends that no animals with malignant cancer be treated with ADSCs.
- How long has this been available? Stem cell therapy for animals has been commercially available since 2004. MediVet was the pioneer in offering to the Veterinary industry same day, onsite treatments and has to date completed over 10,000 treatments globally.
- What is so great about Stem Cell Therapy? Stem cells treat the source of the problem by offering the ability to become new tissue to replace damaged tissue. Other treatments, such as NSAIDs, merely attempt to reduce symptoms. The treatment is very low risk, because it uses the animal’s own stem cells. It offers an all-natural alternative to drugs and steroids. In a recent randomized sampling of 155 canines sufferings from osteoarthritis > 95% showed improvements as reported by the treating vets.
- Why Ask for MediVet Stem Cell therapy? For pet owners, there are two main advantages to MediVet. First, the processing is all done in your vet’s office. This eliminates variability in outside shipping of the sample as well as offers a fresh is best approach to isolating, activating and re-administering your animals living cells back to the areas of need. The MediVet process has been independently validated in a blinded university medical setting.
- What is Activation, and why is it important? MediVet has a patented technology in which your animal’s stem cells will be activated with Platelet Rich Plasma (from a blood sample) and photobiostimulation (light).This dual activation process provides an increase in metabolic rate thus giving the cells the highest potential to survive once placed in the environment (your animal) and potential repair.